Application for Employment Form
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Virginia Highlands Community College will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection process(es).
For additional information, or to request assistance, please contact the Human Resource Office at 276-739-2425 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virginia Highlands Community College is committed to and recognizes the importance of diversity in our college community.
Virginia Highlands Community College is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and job applicants regardless of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics or disability in accordance with the Governor's Executive Order on Equal Opportunity and state and federal laws.
Administrative Assistant, Virginia Highlands Small Business Development Center
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$10.00-$13.00 per hour, depending upon qualifications.
- Posted Date:12/14/2017 11:00 AM
Hourly, wage Administrative Assistant position scheduled to work Monday through Friday approximately 29 hours per week with no fringe benefits. Position W0003. Starting rate of pay $10.00-$13.00 per hour, depending upon qualifications.
- Provide professional administrative support and excellent customer service for the office
- Provide assistance and guidance to the public, students, faculty and other members of the college community in office operations and scheduling
- Prepare and maintain the office schedule and a wide variety of division files
- Use and maintain proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and PeopleSoft
- Independently compose correspondence
- Resolve or redirect issues as appropriate
- Oversee purchasing and travel operations for division and manage departmental budgets
- Serve as receptionist and initial point of contact for stakeholders seeking assistance
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with students, faculty & staff and other stakeholders important to the college
- The successful candidate will show evidence of the ability to:
- Work both independently and as a member of a team
- Prioritize tasks and problem solve
- Learn, interpret, and apply program policies and procedures
- Learn and maintain proficiency in state computer systems and programs
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing including proper use of grammar, spelling, punctuation, editing and proof reading
- Use a personal computer, Microsoft Office software and other automated office equipment
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Utilize front-line decision-making skills in the areas of resolving or redirecting student and faculty issues as appropriate
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethics and confidentiality in performance of all job duties
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with students, faculty & staff and other stakeholders important to the college
- Ability to work with committees, organizations in developing programs and workshops
- Ability to utilize social media and other marketing programs to develop marketing literature and promotions for clients
- A minimum of education and/or experience equivalent to an associate’s degree in Administrative Support Technology required
- Previous higher education office management experience preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of social media and marketing preferred
- Previous experience in student management and procurement systems preferred
Application: Submit cover letter, resume and complete the Virginia state application online through the Recruitment Management System at http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/97143. Applications will only be accepted online. Submit all attachments with online application. Resumes may not be substituted for the application. Information on the application is the primary source used for screening the position. Failure to complete any section of the application may disqualify the application for further consideration. Applications should include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276-739-2425. This position will remain open until filled. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is received. Incomplete on-line applications or other materials submitted via e-mail, postal mail, fax or in-person will not be considered. The job announcement may be accessed at www.vhcc.edu (click on About The College and Employment Opportunities). For questions about the on-line application process please call (276) 739-2425.
Virginia Highlands Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, genetics, veteran status, or disability in its employment opportunities, programs, services, and activities.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position,
however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Documents verifying identity and eligibility to work in the United States must be presented upon hire.
VHCC participates in E-Verify.
Selected applicant will be subject to a background check.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution