Exciting things are happening at VHCC every day! You can stay informed by reading the latest news releases, learning more about the people who work and learn on campus, and spending a few minutes with the latest edition of VHCC News.
If you have questions or comments, please contact Anne Dunham.
Abingdon Businesses Provide Discounts to the VHCC Campus Community
More than a dozen Abingdon businesses are now showing their appreciation for members of the Virginia Highlands Community College campus community by providing discounts to faculty, staff and students.
“One of the things we value most about Abingdon is the warm welcome and ongoing support we receive from the entire community,” said VHCC President Gene C. Couch Jr. “The discount program is one more way businesses have found to issue a special invitation to those who work and learn at VHCC.”
Abingdon Town Council Member Bob Howard suggested the discount program last year after he learned how many students are enrolled at VHCC and the economy impact the College has on the region.
“I came up with the idea of looking at ways to connect the College with the Town,” he explained. “Although not a new concept, we thought it would be great to allow students, faculty, and staff from the College to benefit from discounts at participating Town businesses. We hope this leads to future projects that connect the College with the Town of Abingdon.”
Community Development Director Tonya Triplett contacted many of the businesses about participating and distributed a window clings to those that agreed. The cling, which includes the VHCC logo and says “We proudly offer discounts to VHCC students & employees,” is now on display at participating locations. A valid VHCC ID must be presented to receive a discount.
Participating businesses are:
- Abingdon Olive Oil Company: 10% discount on olive oils and balsamic vinegars
- Anthonys Desserts: 10% discount
- Blue Hills Market: Free membership, which results in a 5% discount on everything
- Chick-N-Little: Any drink for only $1
- Fragmented Gallery: 10% discount
- Goodman Jewelers: Extra 10% discount on in-stock items
- Holston Mountain Artisans: 10% discount on first purchase
- Necessities: 10% seasonal discount
- Olive Boutique of Abingdon: 10% off for students
- Paper Moon Studio: 10% discount
- T. Tilley Gallery and Garden: 20% discount
- The Gallery@Barr Photographics:10% discount on custom framing
- The Peppermill Restaurant: 10% discount on food
Other businesses have offered discounts in the past and additional businesses be added to the list in the coming weeks. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to the list that is available online at www.vhcc.edu/discounts.