Guidelines for Use of Facilities by Community Groups
Virginia Highlands Community College encourages community groups to use its facilities when such use does not interfere with the basic instructional mission of the College. As a general rule, these facilities will be made available without charge and only during those hours when the College is in full operation and is adequately staffed. When permission is granted for use of College facilities afterhours, which includes weekends, official holidays, and between academic terms, the requesting organizations may be asked to cover the cost of providing any necessary services (custodial, technical support, security, etc.) or other College personnel. The cost of these services will be determined at the time of application by the appropriate supervisor. A VHCC representative must be present during each afterhour’s activity.
Priorities for use of College facilities will be as follows:
- Educational programs for the College.
- College student, faculty, or staff directed activities.
- College sponsored events and/or activities.
- Non-profit community or civic group/organization events and /or activities.
- Other non-sectarian, non-college, and non-political group/organization events and/or activities promoting training, public service, or economic development purposes.
The facilities must be scheduled in advance through the office of Institutional Advancement (or, in the case of the College Board Room, the office of the President).
- Each group/organization requesting the use of College facilities should complete the form a minimum of two weeks prior to the desired date(s).
The College reserves the right to withhold or withdraw final and absolute confirmation prior to the requested date.
- The proposed activity must be compatible with the mission of the College. Generally, sectarian religious activities and partisan political activities will not be accommodated.
College facilities cannot be rented nor use granted to private individuals or private groups not properly classified as non-profit community or civic groups.
- The cost of extra custodial, technical support, security, or other personnel services will normally be paid directly by the requesting agency to the personnel involved at the predetermined rates.
Final approval may be denied where suitable personnel are not available at the time facilities use is requested.
- The facilities must be left in good order. Damage to the facilities or contents shall be the responsibility of the using group.
- Any catering services will be the responsibility of the requesting agency.
Permission for use of the facilities may be denied by the Vice President of Institutional Advancement or the President if, in their judgment, the proposed use would likely interfere with the orderly conduct of the College’s mission or if there is reason to believe that damage or destruction of the facilities or contents is likely.
Request for Use of College Facilities Form
Please complete and save the Request for Use of Facilities Form to your computer and email the saved form as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval and room assignment. You will be notified by email or phone.