VHCC encourages all students to apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov. This is the first step and the basis for all financial aid, grants, and scholarships. The process is required to be completed each year the student plans to attend. The current financial aid year begins with the Summer 2018 semester ending with the following the Spring 2019 semester and is based upon 2016 tax information. To be assured of notification of financial aid eligibility before the beginning of the semester classes, the college recommends the following priority application dates:
- Summer 2018 - March 1, 2018
- Fall 2018 - May 1, 2018
- Spring 2019 - October 1, 2018
Completing the FAFSA by these dates ensures the student will be fully considered for all federal, state and institutional financial aid. Late applications are accepted after the priority dates, but funding may not be guaranteed. Institutional assistance will be awarded based on the availability of funds. In the event that the Office of Financial Aid requests documentation after the FAFSA process has been completed, this should be submitted as soon as possible to ensure timely notification of the student’s eligibility for financial aid.
To complete the FAFSA application and have your information sent to VHCC, you must include our school code on your application.
VHCC School Code: 007099
Top Tips for Creating an FSA ID
Federal Student Aid (FSA) now requires each student and one parent (if student is dependent) to create a FSA ID and password to log into the FAFSA. The FSA ID also acts as the student and parents electronic signature for the FAFSA.
- Access the FSA ID creation page at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
- The following tips apply to both the student and parent, as you both must create separate ID’s.
- Use an email address that you can access at any given time.
- Verify that your Social Security Number and DOB are correct.
- If your name, SSN and/or DOB does not match up with the Social Security Administration this could cause significant delays, as they verify your identity.
- You will be required to pick two challenge questions that FSA provides and two that you must create. Be sure to pick and create challenge questions that require facts for answers.
- Example: What is my mothers/fathers first name?
- Once you have entered all of the required fields, FSA will immediately send a code to the email address you provided at the beginning. You will also have the option to link your mobile phone number to your FSA ID, which must be verified as well. Enter the code(s) and you should receive confirmation that your FSA ID has been created. You will then be ready to log in and begin completing the FAFSA.
For additional information click on Helpful Web Sites or contact our Financial Aid Office at (276) 739-2555.