Home • A-Z Index • myVHCC • Campus Closing • VHCC Alert • Employee Directory • Text Only • Contact Us
Program Coordinator: Patty Tymon, OTC 216, Ext. 2540
Length: Four semesters (two years)
Purpose: With the rapid development in business and industry in Virginia, there is a great demand for qualified personnel in business administration to help provide leadership for this economic growth. The Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree curriculum with a major in Business Administration is designed for persons who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university to complete a baccalaureate degree program in a business area.
Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Public Administration, Management, Banking, Marketing, Economics, Human Resource Management
Admission Requirements: In addition to the admission requirements established for the College entry into the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree curriculum with a major in Business Administration requires the satisfactory completion of the following high school units or equivalent as a minimum: 4 units of English, 3 units of college preparatory mathematics, 1 unit of laboratory science, and 1 unit of social studies.
Students who do not meet these requirements will be permitted to correct their deficiencies in developmental studies. Those students who meet the specific requirements for this degree program but are deficient in basic skills and understandings in English and/or mathematics will be required to enroll in appropriate developmental courses.
Program Requirements: The modern business world demands that its employees be knowledgeable in fields over and beyond business technology. Thus, this curriculum requires courses in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences in addition to the principles of economics and principles of accounting usually required in the first two years of a baccalaureate business curriculum. In order to help prepare for upper division (junior class) standing at a four-year college or university, the student usually must complete a program at the community college which is comparable in length and courses to the first two years of the program at the four-year college or university. Upon completion of the four-semester curriculum listed, the graduate will be awarded the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree with a major in Business Administration.
First Semester (Fall)
College Composition I
1*MTH 163, 271, 241, or 173
Principles of Accounting I
Principles of Public Speaking
Orientation to College Success
Second Semester (Spring)
College Composition II
1*MTH 164, 271, 272, 241, 242, or 174
Principles of Accounting II
ITE 100, 115,
3*Intro. to Information Systems, Intro. to Computer
Applications & Concepts or Information Literacy
Third Semester (Fall)
History 101, 111 or 121
Principles of Economics I
4*Literature 241, 243, 251, or Humanities Elective
5*Science (BIO, CHM, GOL, or PHY)
Fourth Semester (Spring)
History 102, 112 or 122
Principles of Economics II
4*Literature 242, 244, 252 or Humanities Elective
Total Minimum Credits for AA&S Degree..................61
Students are urged to acquaint themselves with the requirements of the major department in the college or university to which transfer is contemplated; and further, to consult with their counselors and advisors at Virginia Highlands Community College in planning their program and electives.
The above semester-by-semester sequences of courses may be modified when necessary. Please refer to the Program Choices section of this Catalog for a discussion of factors, which affect planning and sequencing programs of study.
1. Students are urged to check the mathematics requirements of the four-year college or university to which they plan to transfer to determine the proper mathematics courses to be taken at the community college.
2. Students may substitute any HLT (Health) course that contains a personal wellness component for Physical Education requirement. Transfer students should note that four-year institutions may require a PED activity course in the general education core.
3. Keyboarding skills are highly recommended.
4. All Students graduating in Business Administration must meet minimum requirements of six (6) semester hours in Humanities/Fine Arts. This requirement can be met at VHCC with the following courses; ART 201, 202; MUS 121, 122; PHI 101; CST 130, 151, 152; REL 200, 210, 230; FRE 101, 102, 201, 202; SPA 101, 102, 201, 202. However, since many four-year colleges and universities still require a year’s study in Literature (American, English, or World), students are advised to consider such requirements in making their choices.
5. The Natural Sciences options to meet the Science requirement are BIO 101-102; BIO 141-142; CHM 101-102 or 111-112; GOL 105-106; PHY 121-122 or 201-202 or 231-232 or 241-242. Students are urged to acquaint themselves with the science required in their selected major at the college or university to which transfer is contemplated.
6. Students have a total of six (6) semester hours of electives. Courses must be transfer level courses and can be chosen from offerings in the humanities and social sciences, ART 201, 202; MUS 121, 122; PHI 100; CST 130, 151, 152; REL 200, 210, 230; FRE 101, 102, 201, 202; SPA 101, 102, 201, 202; ENG 241, 242, 243, 244, 251, 252; ECO 201, 202; GEO 210, 220; HIS 101, 102, 111, 112, 121, 122; PLS 135, 211, 212; PSY 200; SOC 200, or business courses relevant to upper division major such as ITE 140, ITP 120, 220, 132; BUS 100, BUS 241, 242. Consultation with Counselor and transfer institution is advised. BUS 297 Co-op Education may be taken as an elective with Faculty Curriculum Advisor and Co-op Advisor approvals.
VA Education Wizard VHCC Expenses eVA Transparency Reports Grow by Degrees Contact Us