Information concerning veterans’ educational programs and benefits may be obtained from the Office of Admissions and Records. Veterans must first apply for Veterans Education Benefits at www.gibill.va.gov then contact Debbie Barrett, VHCC Veterans’ Officer, located in the Admissions Office. It is the responsibility of students eligible for Veterans Administration benefits to secure the necessary forms from this office. Assistance in completing and submitting these forms is also provided. Veterans may request a military transcript at https:www.vetsuccess.gov/military_transcript.
If you have questions regarding your qualifications of veteran’s benefits or to explore your options, please call the Veterans Administration toll-free number at 888-442-4551 (1-888-GIbill1) or visit the website www.gibill.va.gov.
All academic policies as included in this catalog apply equally to all students at Virginia Highlands. However, there are a few guidelines specifically applicable to the administration of veterans certified for benefits through the Veterans Administration.
1. Veterans Affairs Office will consult with veterans who fail to attend classes regularly.
2. Veterans Affairs Office will report to the Veterans Administration as soon as possible any change in the status of veterans, whether that be a change of curriculum, reduction or increase in course-load or withdrawal.
3. Veterans Administration will de-obligate benefits of veterans placed on suspension or dismissal.
4. Veterans who fail to maintain good academic standing must be counseled by a Counselor at the College prior to Veterans’ benefits being reinstated.
5. Virginia Highlands Community College grading policies will be used to determine whether veterans are maintaining satisfactory progress.
6. The physical education requirements for the degree, diploma and certificate programs may be waived for veterans (please see Veterans Officer), and the College may substitute other credits to satisfy the total credit requirements of the veteran’s curriculum.
Additional information and forms are available on the VHCC website at http://www.vhcc.edu > Future Students > Military Students > Veterans' Benefits.