Jazz: America’s Music
Arts Array: SPENCER-MILLER CONCERT SERIES
- Date: 11/11/2018 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Location: Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church
136 E Main St
Abingdon, Virginia 24210
A recital chronologically demonstrating all styles of Jazz and seeking to educate listeners to the origins and development of Jazz music. You’ll hear styles including Dixieland, African-inspired works, Big Band Swing, Bebop, Cool Jazz, Latin, and Fusion, performed by an amazing collection of professional musicians. Composers include Gershwin, Hancock, Gillespie, and Strayhorn. This popular exciting concert is back by demand and will be led by Dr. Joseph Trivette, artistic director and pianist. Trivette is the holder of the Albert Endowed Chair of Music at Southwest Virginia Community College. His various ensembles have achieved outstanding local and national acclaim. Don’t miss this afternoon of great American Jazz music. This concert would be great to bring middle and high school band students too also.
Admission is $10 at the door
Download the complete Fall 2018 Arts Array Program at www.vhcc.edu/ArtsArray.
- All Arts Array activities are free for the faculty, staff and students of Virginia Highlands Community College.
- Staff members and students of the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center, including participants in the College for Older Adults who purchase an Arts Array pass, may attend all films and concerts in the Spencer-Miller Memorial Concert series for free.
- All films are free for students and staff members of Emory and Henry College and King University.
For additional information about the Arts Array, please contact:
Patricia Tymon • firstname.lastname@example.org • (276) 739-2459 regarding film and drama events
Mary Munsey • email@example.com • (276) 739-2454 regarding concerts.