The Curious Savage
Arts Array: THEATRE PRODUCTION
- Date: 04/07/2019 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM
- Location: Keyser-Aday Theatre at VHCC
Mrs. Savage has been left ten million dollars by her husband and wants to make the best use of it, in spite of her grown-up stepchildren’s efforts to get their hands on it. Knowing that the widow’s wealth is now in negotiable securities, and seeing they cannot get hold of the fortune, the stepchildren commit her to a sanatorium hoping to “bring her to her senses.” In the sanatorium Mrs. Savage meets various social misfits, men and women who just cannot adjust themselves to life, people who need the help Mrs. Savage can provide. In getting to know them, she realizes that she will find happiness with them and plans to spend the rest of her life as one of them. But when the doctor tells her there is no reason why she should remain, she hesitates to go out into a hard world where people seem ready to do anything for money. The self-seeking stepchildren are driven to distraction by their vain efforts to browbeat Mrs. Savage, but she preserves her equanimity and leads them on a merry chase. At last her friends conspire to get rid of her stepchildren, and through their simple belief in the justice of her cause, they enable Mrs. Savage to carry out her plans to establish a fund to help others realize their hopes and dreams. The dominant mood is high comedy, and the audience is left with a feeling that the neglected virtues of kindness and affection have not been entirely lost in a world that seems at times motivated only by greed and dishonesty. The VHCC production of The Curious Savage by John Patrick will be directed by Dona Lee.
Thursday, April 4 - Saturday, April 6, at 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 7, at 2:30 p.m.
Keyser-Aday Theatre at VHCC
$5 Community Admission
Download the complete Spring 2019 Arts Array Program
- All Arts Array activities are free unless otherwise indicated, for the faculty, staff, and students of Virginia Highlands Community College.
- Staff members and students of the Southwest Virginia Higher Education Center, including participants in the College for Older Adults who purchase an Arts Array pass, may attend all films and concerts in the Spencer-Miller Memorial Concert series for free.
- All films are free for students, faculty, and staff members of Emory and Henry College and King University.
For additional information about the Arts Array, please contact:
Patricia Tymon • firstname.lastname@example.org • (276) 739-2459 regarding film and drama events
Mary Munsey • email@example.com • (276) 739-2454 regarding concerts.