The following policies regarding the use of the Virginia Highlands Community College (VHCC) Fitness Center are geared towards keeping patrons safe and ensuring a clean, accessible, and healthy atmosphere for all students, faculty, and staff.
- Please consult a physician before beginning an exercise program.
- The Fitness Center is not supervised, and participants use the facility at his/her own risk.
- Users of the Fitness Center are responsible for knowing his/her own physical limitations and how to use the equipment.
- Participation in the Fitness Center may contribute to, or result in, the loss of or damage to personal items and accidental injury, illness, or in extreme cases, personal trauma or death.
- The Fitness Center is open to all VHCC employees and currently enrolled students. Children are not allowed to use or be inside the Fitness Center.
- All users must have a valid Virginia Highlands Student, Faculty, or Staff photo ID to sign-in. Guests are not permitted.
- Any attempt to gain unauthorized admission may result in permanent exclusion from use of the Fitness Center by all involved parties.
- Appropriate workout attire and footwear are required at all times.
- Language and behavior should be appropriate as outlined in the Student Conduct Policy.
- Food is not allowed in the Fitness Center. Drinks are allowed only if in a closed container. No glass containers or alcoholic beverages are permitted.
- If you have a music device, you must use headphones.
- While socialization is encouraged, if participants are not exercising and are acting as a distraction to other patrons, they will be asked to leave.
- All patrons must comply with directives. VHCC has the right to remove any student who puts themselves or others at danger or behaves inappropriately through words or actions.
- It is recommended that you do not exercise alone.
MACHINES AND WEIGHTS
- During busy times or when people are waiting, please limit use of the cardio equipment to 30 minutes.
- As a courtesy, when using free weights (or other movable equipment) please return them to their proper place at the end of your workout.
- Do not drop or slam weights when using free weights or machines.
- If you notice any equipment that is broken or malfunctioning, discontinue use immediately and notify the Fitness Center attendant.
Fitness Center hours for student use are Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Students may use the center only during posted, “Open-to-Students" times.
- Note that VHCC employees follow a different policy due to different legal and liability issues and may be using the center at other times.
By using the Fitness Center, you hereby agree that you are responsible for any resulting personal injury, damage to, or loss of your property which may occur as a result of your participation in this activity or arising out of your participation in this activity and will not hold VHCC responsible, unless any such incident is directly due to the negligence of VHCC.