Great Expectations (GE) at Virginia Highlands Community College (VHCC) reaches out to foster care students who are taking classes at VHCC. The program is setup to help meet students’ educational needs with the ultimate goal of achieving a career. The GE students at VHCC are monitored closely by the GE Coach who meets with the students individually each week and stays in contact with their professors for academic accountability purposes.
The Great Expectation program meets the second Thursday of each month at 2:00 p.m.. The meetings are for students to learn something new and a great way to get to know members of the program. There will always be
food at the meetings.
Great Expectations offers the following services as students go through college:
- Provide a point person at the college to assist students in their academic journey until they are able to become self-sufficient in navigating the community college system
- Help with applying for admission to the college
- Offer instruction and support throughout the financial aid process
- Help with Career exploration and coaching
- Assist with choosing an academic program
- Make referrals to community resources for academic as well as personal issues
- Monitor academic progress
- Make referrals for tutorial services
- Offer the experience of being part of a mentoring relationship
- Provide an online resource center covering a wide variety of topics from finding housing to staying healthy