VHCC has established procedures that respect the rights of individual privacy, the confidentiality of records, and the best interests of the student and institution. These procedures are published in the Catalog and Student Handbook.
As provided by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Virginia law, VHCC discloses the following VCCS directory information items without the student’s prior consent:
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Grade level
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Number of credit hours enrolled
VHCC shall not disclose the address, telephone number, or email address of a student as directory information or pursuant to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) without the prior written consent of the student. VHCC allows students to opt-in to the disclosure of such information without prior written consent.
Students also must provide official notification to the Admissions Office to prevent the disclosure of directory information listed in Section 6.3.9.