Official VHCC Web Pages
In the event you are planning an electronic publication, please contact the College Webmaster, Nikelle Hagy (LRC-126; 276-739-2497; email@example.com) for assistance.
Official college Web pages are all Web pages that provide information about VHCC, the educational programs, services, personnel, and events offered by the College.
Official VHCC Web pages must be prepared using the approved College Content Management System (CMS) and will be reviewed and approved by the webmaster for compliance with college policies and publishing guidelines.
The VHCC site should be considered a public place and should be designed to provide visitors with the same type of information and same level of professionalism that they would receive at the physical office.
Any content not accessible under Section 508, any infringement of applicable copyright laws and any posting of obscene, harassing, or threatening materials on the VHCC web server may be in violation of local, state, national or international laws and can subject the page authors to litigation.
In addition to ensuring that sites function properly, Web sites should follow accessibility guidelines. All organizational home pages - and within reason all other pages - must meet Section 508 accessibility compliance.
The VHCC site has tools to dynamically generate a text version of your site. A text site is a supplement, not a replacement for an accessible Web site.
- All official college pages should be developed using approved College Content Management System (CMS) prepared by the College's webmaster.
- The "alt tag" is required for every image uploaded. The tag you use will automatically be applied to the image when you place it in a web page.
- Do not rely on color to convey a message. Refrain from using red, green or light-blue text, as these are the most difficult colors to see for someone who is color-blind.
- No alterations of the college logos are permitted. See the Publication Guidelines & Logo Style Guide
- Titles and headings appear in upper and lower case letters, do not use all caps.
- If you are including a link to any file in Document Central, you should check the "Download Message" checkbox on the content form so that links to the helper applications (such as Adobe Acrobat for PDF files) appear on the page.
- Do not use blink or marquee (flashing or scrolling text)! If you need to emphasize something on your page try using pre formatted text style. When all else fails contact the webmaster for assistance.
- Do not place any rapid-flashing or moving animated GIF files or Flash animations on your website.
- Graphic images larger than 50K must be represented by a thumbnail image of less than 50K or a text link.
- The font type is used consistently throughout the site.
- Site contains contact information.
- Pages have been spell checked.
- Row and column headers shall be identified for data tables. If you create a data table, you must use the "Set Table Properties" functionality in the Editor Tool to configure the table to be Section 508 compliant. See Editor Tool > Setting Table Properties in the User Guide for more information.
- Multimedia presentations on the web should contain captions or provide a text equivalent.
- Duplication should be avoided by providing links to files rather than recreating data already available.
- Copyrighted material of any kind may not be used without the copyright holder's written permission. See the VHCC Faculty & Staff Manual Section 4.7 Intellectual Property (Copyright & Patent) Policies & Procedures
- All Web pages must be consistent with the College Computer Security Policy.
- Test your pages in multiple browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape Navigator, etc.
- All pages have a title that accurately describes the page content.
- Use only lowercase letters for all file references, file names, e-mail addresses, URLs, hrefs (links), https, and directory/subdirectory names.
- Archive old files to your hard drive as you remove them from the server.