caution  Click here for information about VHCC’s response to and operations during COVID-19.

In-State Tuition Eligibility

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


VA Domicile Determination Form (In-State Tuition Form)
If you did not complete the domicile portion of the state application in its entirety you must complete this form. Additional documentation may be required.

Thirty (30) mile radius Form (Residents of Tennessee) 
If you live in Tennessee within 30 miles of the College you may qualify for in-state tuition. Additional documentation may be required.

A student’s eligibility for the in-state tuition rate is based on information provided by the student on the domicile portion of the college application. This eligibility for in-state tuition is determined by the State Council of Higher Education (SCHEV) guidelines pertaining to Section 23.7-4 of the Code of Virginia.

A student shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year immediately prior to the first day of the enrollment term s/he was domiciled in Virginia. If you are legally and financially dependent on your parents, legal guardian or spouse, your eligibility is based on their domicile. The student’s domicile (residency) is determined by several factors which include but are not limited to:

  • Continuous residence in Virginia
  • State income tax payment
  • Driver’s license or identification card
  • Motor vehicle registration
  • Voter registration
  • Military records

A dependent student is a student who receives substantial financial support from his or her parents or legal guardian. If you are under age 24 on the first day of classes, you will be classified as a dependent student unless you are:

  • Married
  • A veteran or active-duty member of the U.S. armed forces
  • Are in graduate school
  • A ward of the court or were a ward of the court until age 18
  • Have no adoptive or legal guardian when both parents are deceased
  • Have legal dependents other than a spouse

Virginia Highlands will look at the student’s parents’ domicile to determine if a dependent student is eligible for in-state tuition. A student under the age of 24 who doesn't meet any of these conditions is to be considered dependent and must be able to demonstrate through clear and convincing evidence that s/he is independent. Parents’ will need to provide documentation that they do not claim the student as a dependent on their federal or state income tax return and have ceased to provide substantial financial support.

Married students may establish domicile like any other student.  A person’s domicile is not automatically altered by marriage. However, if a student receives substantial financial support from his or her spouse, the student may claim domicile through the spouse. In such cases the college will look at the spouse’s domicile to determine if the student is eligible for in-state tuition.

An active duty military service member may qualify for a waiver of the one-year residency requirement by voluntarily electing to establish domicile in Virginia. The one-year residency requirement will be waived if all other conditions for establishing domicile are met, including, but not limited to, Virginia resident income taxes on all income (Leave/Earning Statement showing Virginia tax withheld) or Virginia State of Legal Residence Certificate (DD2058). Copies of these documents must be provided by the student to claim eligibility for this waiver prior to the beginning of the enrollment term.

The State Council for Higher Education Domicile Guidelines provide that all dependents of active duty military personnel assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia who reside in Virginia shall be deemed to be domiciled in Virginia for the purpose of eligibility for in-state tuition.  All dependents of such military personnel receiving in-state tuition shall be afforded the same educational benefits as any other individual receiving in-state tuition so long as they are continuously enrolled in an institution of higher education in Virginia or are transferring between Virginia institutions of higher education.