Criteria for Acceptance:
Students must meet specified income guidelines and/or be a potential first generation college student, be a U.S. Citizen, and have completed the 8th grade in order to apply. Applicants will need a referral from the school guidance office and show potential for college acceptance. Selected applicants will participate in a personal interview before being admitted.
In order to participate in the Virginia Highlands Upward Bound Program students must be enrolled at one of the following high schools: Virginia High (City of Bristol, Virginia), Chilhowie High or Northwood High (Smyth County), Holston High or Patrick Henry High (Washington County). These schools are the five targeted by the program and are in this particular program's service region. If you or your child does not attend one of these schools, please consult local education sources to see if an Upward Bound program is operating in your area.
- Maintain a 2.5 semester GPA
- Attend at least 50% of the scheduled weekly meetings
- Participate in cultural field trips, college visits, and program workshops
- Attend the five-week Summer Academy
- Abide by program standards of conduct