Upward Bound Summer Academy
Each summer, Upward Bound offers an on-campus, five (5) week academic academy. All students are encouraged to participate in at least two (2) Summer Academy experiences during their time in Upward Bound. We strongly encourage rising freshmen to participate, as it immerses them in the Upward Bound culture immediately. Upperclassmen who meet the following criteria will be eligible for Summer Academy:
- Good academic standing with Upward Bound: GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Good behavioral standing with Upward Bound: no behavioral issues during Upward Bound events, no out-of-school suspensions from school
- Good attendance: attendance at 50% or more of Upward Bound activities (including meetings, cultural events, workshops and college visits) and no more than 10 unexcused absences during the school year
- Commitment to attend: students will sign a commitment form stating they commit to attend Summer Academy each day for the 5-week period. Students who can commit to coming each day and to going on the trip will be given preference.
Enrollment in Summer Academy is limited to 50 students. Being eligible to participate does not guarantee that the student will be selected to participate. Students will be ranked according to GPA, school and Upward Bound attendance, behavior, and commitment to attend.
Summer Academy will operate from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Monday – Thursday, and from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Fridays. Transportation is provided from the students’ home high school to VHCC and back. Fridays are reserved for community service, and transportation will be provided to the community service site. Students will be provided with all academic supplies, lunch, snacks and drinks. We will conclude each Summer Academy with a banquet and showcase of work for all students and their parents.
Summer Academy students will participate in a world culture class, and will get to choose one of three to four other classes that will be offered. Classes will rotate from year to year to ensure that students are not taking the same classes in consecutive years. The last week of Summer Academy will include a trip that will incorporate college visits, cultural events, and opportunities to learn more about subjects covered in Summer Academy. These trips are three – five days long, and past destinations have included Savannah GA, Charleston SC, New York City, and Washington D.C.
Participation in Summer Academy, and the trip, is a privilege. To be eligible to travel, students must:
- Attend four (3) of the four (4) community service Fridays during Summer Academy
- Attend 80% of Summer Academy (20 of 25 days)
- Uphold all Upward Bound standards of conduct during Summer Academy