Get the support you need to go to college.
For high school students who want to get ahead, the Upward Bound program is an excellent choice. The Upward Bound program of Virginia Highlands Community College serves qualifying students enrolled at Chilhowie, Holston, Northwood, Patrick Henry, and Virginia high schools.
Upward Bound offers:
- Study Skills Development
- Free Tutoring
- SAT/ACT Preparation and Fee Waivers
- Participation Stipend (up to $40 per month during the academic year)
- Career and Academic Advising
- Cultural Field Trips
- College Visitation and Tours
- College Entrance and Financial Aid Application Assistance
- 6-week Summer Academy with Participation Stipend (up to $90)
- Summer Bridge Program for Graduating Seniors
Students must meet specified income guidelines and/or be a potential first generation college student, be a U.S. Citizen, and have completed the 8th grade in order to apply. Applicants will need a referral from the school guidance office and show potential for college acceptance. Selected applicants will participate in a personal interview before being admitted. Students must also be enrolled in one of the high schools we serve.
- Maintain a 2.5 semester GPA
- Attend at least 50% of the scheduled weekly meetings
- Participate in cultural field trips, college visits, program workshops, and Summer Academy
- Abide by program standards of conduct
The Upward Bound offices are located in the Instructional and Student Center (ISC) building in the central hallway! You can always reach out to our staff directly:
Leigh Ann Adams, Director |(276) 739-2506 } firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacey Dorton, Academic Coordinator | (276) 739-2507 | email@example.com
Ella Ratcliffe-Sutherland, Office Manager | (276) 739-2479 |firstname.lastname@example.org